Declaring the Major

Before Declaring the Major

All students are required to complete two introductory Politics courses (chosen from Politics 1-79) with a grade of "C" or better prior to declaring the Politics major. These courses are normally taken during the first year. A junior transfer student may satisfy the requirement for one of the two introductory courses by completing a course in political science or equivalent department with a grade of "C" or better. The course from another institution may be considered for substitution only if it appears on the UCSC Transfer Credit Summary. 


To Declare the Major

Step 1: Complete a Petition for Major/Minor Declaration and the Academic Plan Form

Step 2: On the Academic Plan Form make sure to add Politics requirements you have completed, in progress, and those you intend to complete in the future. Refer to the Politics Worksheet for the Major and the Course Menu as you create your plan. Make sure to distinguish between CORE versus ELECTIVE requirements as you plan future coursework. If you need assistance with your academic plan you can consult our peer advising team during their online drop-in hours.


Step 3: Email your Petition for Major/Minor Declaration & Academic Plan to


**You can also declare by signing up for a declaration of major workshop here. The deadline to declare a major for Fall has already passed on Oct 23. The next opportunity to declare is during Winter quarter (Jan 3rd to Feb 3rd).